Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Northroad handlebars

At the time that I'm writing this, I don't own a 3 speed. Just need to get that admitted, sheepishly. By the time you read this that might have changed. I don't spend much money on bicycles (relative assertion) - I like waiting for them to drift toward me like a slow magnetic process.

I might not have a 3 speed at the moment, but I have a lot of 3 speed handlebars. Old 3 speeds, mostly imported from England "back in the day" (50's, 60's mostly) used "northroad" handlebars. These handlebars have a slight rise, and curve back so you can feel like you're riding a bicycle in an old movie. In addition to goofy nostalgia, this allows you to sit up straighter and have a comfortable position. I use these handlebars with a tall stem to get a very comfortable upright position. I rode my City Bike for 120 miles like that one day - my legs were pretty beat, but no complaints about the handlebars. If you want an aero position, try just leaning down and tucking in your elbows. Northroad handlebars are great.

I think the best place for some Northroad handlebars is on an old mountain bicycle that you want to make more comfortable. Adding Northroad handlebars and a long stem can get a bicycle a lot closer to being the machine that you want to ride everywhere and can carry anything with. Let me talk more about this machine: after the Northroad handlebars and stem, add Panaracer Paselas and friction shifters. Then put on a rear rack, and use hose clamps to attach a milk crate. Now you can easily ride around with a case of beer. You know when you're riding a bicycle with a jacket on, then you get too hot for the jacket? Milk crate it. You don't even have to stop.

Where do you get Northroad handlebars? I'll tell you what I'd do if I were you. I'd go to the local bicycle co-op. They will probably have some that they really don't care about. I'd go for the ones that look beat up but not bent. That's 'cause I like resurrecting stuff like that and giving it a totally unexpected new shot at life. It also looks low key. If you don't have a source of used bicycle stuff, no problem. The J&B wholesale catalog - carried by most bicycle shops - lists "Pyramid" or "Sunlite" brand Northroad handlebars. These brand names don't instill much confidence, or get much respect inside the cycling community: but don't worry. These handlebars are fine and good, and maintain the original classic shape. They come in steel or alloy (aluminum). The steel ones can fit bar end shifters with a little bit of forcing or sanding inside. That's just FYI - bar end shifters are pretty cool. If you have a lot of money that you like to spend, Nitto also makes some Northroad handlebars that look nice. I'm sure they're great - I like Nitto stuff.

No comments: